History of The Glynmill Inn
Early in the 1920’s, the Armstrong-Whitworth Company Limited of England decided that their senior staff required living quarters that would enable them to feel at home while they were supervising construction of what was, up to that time, the largest project ever undertaken in the history of paper making.
In 1923, Mr. Andrew Cobb, a Halifax architect designed the Tudor-Style “Staff House” and in his honor, the street leading to it was named Cobb Lane.
On May 16, 1924, Mr. Bill Cossitt and three employees of Pickering & Watson, water and sewage contractors from Halifax signed the register. Three weeks later, the first dinner was served.
Glynmill Inn, the Newfoundland Pulp and Paper Company’s executive guesthouse, was designed to be a hotel with a lounge, or lobby, a dining room and the guest rooms. On June 30, 1924, Sir Glyn West, Chairman of Armstrong-Whitworth Company Limited, officially opened the hotel.
The amenities provided were very advanced for the period. There were two dining areas, The Carriage Room and a special private dining room for VIP’s. There were also two bars, The Tudor Room and a special club called Blomidon, for members only. The tennis courts at the rear of the building were later replaced with a parking lot and a well-stocked livery. There were modern conveniences such as a laundry and vacuum cleaners! Since the proprietors also owned the source of power at Deer Lake, there was an apparent inexhaustible supply of electricity.
Few people realize the impact and roll of The Glynmill Inn in Corner Brook. Many organizations can trace their origins back to meetings held here. Bowater’s first General Manager, Mr. H. M. S. Lewin, organized a branch of the British Auxiliary Navy meetings and first navigation classes were held at The Glynmill Inn. The Marble Mountain Ski Club rented a room on the third floor as a “Men’s Club” as early as 1925 and the Blomidon Country Club originated here. The first Girl Guide Company convened during the 1940’s in the space now occupied by The Wine Cellar.
In the early 1950’s, the first adult education classes for the area took place here. Ever since its inaugural dinner in 1956, the Rotary Club of Corner Brook has had its regular luncheon meetings at The Glynmill Inn.
In 1974, the property was acquired by Atlantic Inns Limited. Incorporated into the original structure, an additional wing with modern guest rooms, banquet and convention facilities. Resulting in a property, which reflects a contemporary spirit, yet retains its rich, traditional heritage.
March 31, 2001, The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador designated The Glynmill Inn a Registered Heritage Structure.